I am a person who loves experimenting with their food and well talking about fancy food that we get outside is less in quantity and more unwanted calories. I have always hated the fact that I had to pay so much just to get to eat a decent burger/roll/taco which would not even fill me up. Don’t know about everyone else but I feel hurt going around wasting my money on stuff that doesn’t even make me feel full.
Well cooking was kind of my favorite hobby and now it is mostly a full-time job LOL! Because my mother is so happy I am fit enough to replace her in the kitchen sometimes. This does make me feel responsible and crazy sometimes that how hard it gets to be doing your own stuff and managing food for the family. Hats off to mothers already coz I feel like on a double 9 to 5 jobs! So while I was experimenting with one dish (and that “particular” dish’s recipe will be on my website soon no worries my xoxo army), I happened to discover the perfect recipe of making harissa paste/sauce at home totally from scratch! So let’s dive into it:
1 tbsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
8-10 Garlic Cloves
Salt according to taste
6-7 Dry Red Chillies
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Jaggery according to taste (preferred 2 tbsp grated)
Few Coriander Leaves
2-3 Green Capsicum
- Take 2-3 Green capsicums and wash them properly.
- Take Rice Bran Oil or any edible oil of your choice and coat the capsicums with a layer of oil.
- Now roast the capsicum onto the stove until you see its cover turn coal black. This is when you will take off the capsicum from the burner.
- Let the capsicums rest aside for a while.
- After the capsicums have cooled down a liitle, peel off the darkened skin.
- Now remove the stem of the capsicum and the seeds inside, and keep the leftover roated capsicum aside.
- Now take 6-7 dry red chillies and boil them in water until soft
- Remove the chillies after they are boiled properly and store the water too.
- Then grab a mixer grinder jar.
- Into the jar, add 1-2 tbsp cumin seeds.
- Add 1-2 tbsp rice bran oil.
- Add few coriander leaves after washing them properly with water.
- Add shavings of jaggery.
- Add the roasted capsicum.
- Add boiled red chillies
- A salt as per requirement.
- Add garlic peeled of garlic cloves.
- Add a few spoons of leftover water, only to wet the ingredients.
- Now grind all of them into a fine paste.
- Check for salt and also for any requirement of jaggery, we are trying to attain a balanced sweet sour taste.
- Your harissa paste is ready
NOTE: This is a concentrated paste so you are advised to mix it with mayo, I will be sharing the recipie of making mayonnaise at home soon! Or if you do not want to mix mayo you can just use harissa paste in small quantities.
- Can be used as a sandwich dressing
- Can be used as a chutney
- Can be used as a nacho dip
- Can be used while in a weightloss journey as it has very less fat
- Can be used for making wraps, subways, tacos and burritos at home!
- Harissa paste combined with mayo is the most heavenly combination
I hope you liked the recipie, do make sure to comment and let me know how you ended up making it!